Saturday, December 1, 2007

Happy B-day Countess

It was a nice day for the Countess and I. We traveled out together to gather decorations for the castle. We had a nice lunch. Came home and put up the earlier purchases. She did find out that last year after the wonderful Holiday Season when I was taking down the lights I tossed them all in the garbage, so we didn't have the strings and strings she had expected to see. It is much safer at my age to keep the decorations close to the ground. Later we went out for a nice dinner and now all is peaceful. I can't believe we ate $100's worth of food today. Brunch $25, dinner $75, a happy Countess - priceless.

I did get a cake for her but it did not have quite the effect I was shooting for. It seems that if you order a cake from the bakery department of the local grocery store and the counter person is about 18 years old you must be very explicit about the theme of the cake. I requested a birthday theme, but I didn't mention that it was for an adult. The cake looks like something from a Saturday morning cartoon. Bright blue frosting, a rainbow of colored blobs around the edges which I assume are supposed to be balloons and the writing looks like something from a 3rd grade paper. They don't teach handwriting anymore - what a shame. After the initial shock that I got a cake, after the shock of how the thing looked I did see a bit of a smile on her face. That was nice and made the day worth it.

No comments: